23 March 2020
The below notice came home today with all students.
COVID-19 LEVEL TWO ANNOUNCEMENT
Dear Aberdeen School Parents/Caregivers
As you are aware, on Saturday the Prime Minister announced that New Zealand is now on Alert Level 2 for Covid-19. This means that people over 70 as well as students and staff with existing medical conditions are being asked to remain at home to stay safe.
The medical conditions identified include:
- a compromised immune system
- severe asthma and other respiratory illnesses
- liver disease
- kidney disease
- heart disease
- diabetes mellitus
Although Aberdeen School remains open, we have been asked to minimise social contact as a protective measure against the spread of Covid-19.
This has the following implications for our school:
- Pod Hui and other large group gatherings within the school will now stop.
- We will be encouraging our students to maintain physical distancing as well as they are able to within classrooms.
- We ask that you drop off and pick up your child at the gate or outside the classroom each day. If you have a query or concern that you wish to discuss with the teacher then please text or email the teacher or use Class Dojo or a Class Facebook page to contact them.
- Please don’t visit the school office unless your visit is absolutely essential. The office staff are more than happy to answer any queries you have by phone or email or pass on a message to a teacher or Senior Leader.
- Staff have been asked to limit the number of face to face meetings with parents and outside agencies at this time. We are encouraging email and phone contact to ensure communication remains open.
- There may be instances when a number of our staff are absent from school and classes need to be split or shared into other classrooms.
We are doing all that we can to ensure our staff and students stay safe. Additional cleaning around the school is taking place on a daily basis. The school is well equipped with soap and paper towels for regular use by staff and students.
Please do not send your child to school if they are unwell. If a student is unwell at school, you will be asked to come and collect them.
We ask that students bring their own drink bottle to school and it is important to remind them to wash their hands regularly. Teachers have been reinforcing this at school often throughout the school day.
Finally, if your child is going to be away please ensure you send a text message, leave a phone message or email the school with the reason your child will be away and the duration of their absence. This is extremely important so that we know where all our students are each day. Teachers are preparing work for students who are going to be away for long periods of time or in the event of school closures.
This is a difficult and challenging time for us all and we want to ensure the safety and well-being of our students and staff.
Thank you all for your support.